- Think about why you want to write in English. Perhaps you think English is more popular and there are more chances for your books to become a best seller, or perhaps you have problems writing in your first language. Whatever your reasons are, if you have made up your mind that you want to write your novels, books, facts, fictions or any article in the English language, then there is nothing to worry about because a language becomes yours if you fully master the language.
- Examine your current skill by doing a simple test on the internet. Search on the Internet for English literacy tests and choose one which suits your style. If you are living in country where people speak English then you must have an idea how good your English is, give yourself marks out of ten by judging your own skill in conversations and discussions. Once you have found out on which level your English stands, then find the root of your weaknesses in parts of speech such as grammar, spelling mistakes, vocabulary and most of all your style of writing. Writing mostly depends on your talent as a writer so you can easily improve your mechanics.
- Make a list of things that you need to improve on. For example, if you need to improve your grammar then work out the best way to improve it. If you don’t have time to join a class in your area or there is no course for your grammar needs then purchase some good English grammar books from the nearest bookshops. If you are in a condition that you can not afford to buy books then you can use the library. Also get the new editions of the Oxford English Dictionary and a thesaurus.
- Make a habit to learn five new words every day using the dictionary and thesaurus. Write them in sentences using the grammar you are learning, this way you will learn the right usage of your new vocabulary. At first you might not notice your improvement but by doing this you can put new words in use and soon you will be able to see the difference.
Make a habit of listening to the news, it will improve both your English and writing abilities.
- Start writing short paragraphs. Read your work and give yourself a treat by going out with friends to socialize or buy something new for yourself, this way your writing will connect to your social life.
- Read lots of books, newspapers, and articles in English. This will help you convert your own writing ability into English writing ability. Reading other books will improve your writing style in English, bear in mind that you can’t copy people’s work, but you can always learn from reading, reading books might inspire your writing as well.
- Start writing your story using grammar and spell check on the computer. Also, read your work and be your own editor, work with patience, ask your friends to read your story, get their critiques in order to improve your writing.
- Talk to people who have English as their first language. This way you can learn how to write dialogue in your story.
- Complete your work and decide if it is worth trying to publish. If it is, do not hesitate to send it to publishers. Do not worry about making it perfect before you send it because the publishing company has professional editors to do that for you.
- Be patient about writing, writing is a hard thing to do, even for native English speakers, so take your time.
- Start writing short and simple stories to make your basic style.
- Be confident about your work, organize your work, make a profile for your characters if your writing a novel, put headings for each chapter, if you have your plot and ending ready in mind or on paper, start writing from which ever chapter you would like to start.
- Make your surroundings colorful because colors can bring inspiration.
- Make yourself comfortable when writing and make sure your room is fresh and quiet.
- Play sports or join the gym in order to relax your mind, peace of mind is very important for a writer.