- It's hard to say how the price of gasoline will affect the economy in the long run.
- Growing up with three older sisters affected me greatly as a person.
- When someone affects you strongly, you may develop affection for them. (Notice in this example that the root of affection is affect.)
Effect is almost always used as a noun.
- Typically, when people talk about causes, they also talk about effects. An effect is what is created by some cause. Here are some examples of effectbeing used as a noun that means "the result of a cause"
- It's hard to say what effect the rising price of gasoline will have on the world economy.
- One undesirable effect of not wearing shoes is getting really dirty feet.
- The hurricane caused many tragedies, and the victims are still feeling its depressing effects.
- However, it can also be used as a verb, meaning to bring about, as in her actions effected a change in the situation
- When used as a noun, affect refers to emotional expression.