Consider what your parents really mean when they're discussing their own appearance.
- You Hear: How do I look in this outfit?
- They Mean: Tell me I look great!
Consider what your parents mean when they don't think you heard them.
- You Hear: Did you hear me?
- They Mean: Do whatever I just asked you to do right now.
Consider what your parents really mean when they're talking about your teeth.
- You Hear: Make sure to brush your teeth before bed.
- They Mean: Brush each tooth with toothbrush and toothpaste. And don't skip the floss. And clean up after yourself when you are through. And wash your face with soap and warm water. Do the ears, too. Dry your hands--on a towel. Not that towel--that's for guests. The other one. And put it back folded just like it was before. And turn off the water so it doesn't drip the way you always leave it. And while you're at it, put out a new roll of toilet paper, puh-lease!
Consider what your parents really want to hear when they're asking about school.
- You Hear: What did you do in school today?
- They Mean: Tell me every single thing you did, even when you went to the bathroom.
Consider what your parents expect when they're asking about video games.
- You Hear: How long have you been playing that video game?
- They Mean: Turn it off, pronto!
Reflect on what it means when your parents tell you they love you.
- You Hear: I love you!
- They Mean: I love you!